By Ravi Raman
I can take all of your dreams
Transform the way you feel
Make life a little easier
For you to face your fears
As the evening starts to crawl
Dark shadows on the walls
Are dancing and inviting you
To come and taste it all
If you want to take a chance
Seduction's in a glass.
That in short is the saramsam (the essence) of this week’s playlist. Or so the artists would like to believe, for the most part stepping over the darker side of liquor and booze.
Four songs about high alcohol content, Absinthe (The Damned), Firewater (Old Crow Medicine Show), White Lightning (The Fall) and Pisco Sour (Nosequien y los Nosecuantos) kick off the A-list.
And now three songs featuring my preferred drink – rum. And even though Rum and Coca Cola (Calypso Rose) is more about the seamier side of imperialism there’s no way I’m going to leave a song that mentions my favourite drink. Jamaican Rum (Phil Lynott) and Hot Buttered Rum (Tom Fogerty) round off this group.
Next up is a disparate cluster covering the no-frills rock and roll Jagerbomb (Tequila Mockingbyrd), swing with It’s Martini Time (Reverend Horton Heat), and the exquisite Scotch and Water by the Cannonball Adderley Sextet.
A dysfunctional family in Merry Christmas From The Family (Robert Earl Keen), a broken hearted subversive in Lost (David Allan Coe) and Soul Happy Hour (by an unclassifiable The Jazz Butcher) close out the list with a seemingly endless list of drinking options.
Whiskey, Vodka, Special Brew
All of this is good for you
Gin sling, Cointreau, brandy sour...
Blot right out! Soul happy hour!
The Absinthe Makes The Heart Grow A–List Playlist:
1. Absinthe – The Damned
2. Firewater – Old Crow Medicine Show
3. White Lightning – The Fall
4. Pisco Sour - Nosequien y los Nosecuantos
5. Jamaican Rum – Phil Lynott
6. Rum and Coca Cola – Calypso Rose
7. Hot Buttered Rum – Tom Fogerty
8. Scotch and Water - Cannonball Adderley Sextet
9. Jagerbomb - Tequila Mockingbyrd
10. It’s Martini Time – Reverend Horton
11. Soul Happy Hour – The Jazz Butcher
12. Merry Christmas From The Family – Robert Earl Keen
13. Lost – David Allan Coe
The Boozy B-List Playlist:
1. Cocktail Credibility - !Action Pact!
2. Campari Soda – Taxi
3. One Mint Julep – Ray Charles
4. Fire On The Bayou – The Meters
5. Tequila Slammer – Klute
6. Sloe Gin – Joe Bonamassa
7. Cocktails For Two – Art Tatum
8. Cocktails For Three – Terry Allen
9. Barley & Grape Rag – Rory Gallagher
10. Scotch and Soda –Manhattan Transfer
11. Tequila – Dave
12. Tequila – The Pretenders
13. Tennessee Whiskey – Chris Stapleton
Guru’s Wildcard Cocktail Stick Pick:
Mas Tequila – Sammy Hagar
These playlists were inspired by readers' song nominations from last week's topic: High spirits: songs about cocktails and strong liquor. The next topic will launch on Thursday at 1pm UK time.
New to comment? It is quick and easy. You just need to login to Disqus once. All is explained in About/FAQs ...
Fancy a turn behind the pumps at The Song Bar? Care to choose a playlist from songs nominated and write something about it? Then feel free to contact The Song Bar here, or try the usual email address. Also please follow us social media: Song Bar Twitter, Song Bar Facebook. Song Bar YouTube. Subscribe, follow and share.